Sunday 28 April 2013

REVIEWED || Kate Nash 'Girl Talk' Tour Manchester 2013

    If you follow me on twitter you would've known, before I got rather sick I went watching Kate Nash on the 20th April as part of her Girl Talk tour. I sadly missed her touring last time so luckily I got a ticket with my mate Isobel to watch her perform in Gorilla Manchester. Now before reviewing the actual gig, I'm going to talk about the concert venue itself (it's not a positive one). Over the course of my life I've been to numerous concerts from the age of 12 onwards that have been 13+, I have attended these gigs without parents because I look older due to my height (5ft 9.5). Bare in mind that as I write this I am 17 years old, to turn 18 by the end of this year. So while I'm stood in the queue with my friend, along with roughly 30 people one of the security guards comes out telling the front half of the queue that you will be ID'd if you look under 13, which is reasonable as the gig up for 13+. 
    
    However, this idea swiftly changed when another 10 minutes later the security guard walks up the entire queue stating that everyone will be ID'd regardless of their age, now if you think for a second how ridiculous is this concept! There was discussion amongst the queue about this because most because being 17+ have not brought ID with them because they obviously don't look below the age limit. When it came time to let people in, my friend and myself along with 20 other over 13 year olds got rejected from entering the gig because our forms of ID did not display our date of birth on them (we had college passes and you have to be 16+ to go to college in the UK). So being the British fans we are, we held a strike refusing to move and chanting songs by Kate Nash that were appropriate to the situation such as "Dickhead" and "Rap For Rejection". An hour into the gig and after being refused to speak to the manager, we were eventually allowed in with our college ID's but at this point we'd missed more or less the entire set of the support band, only hearing 3 songs. 

    So to conclude the rant so I can get on with reviewing the actual concert, if you do happen to know of a band or artist that is performing at Gorilla in Manchester I recommend you don't bother going as even 20 year old were denied access and unless you want to carry your passport around risking it getting lost or stolen, missing half your gig is extremely disappointing. Now on with the proper review, the support band was called The Tuts and I managed to speak to one of their members after their set as she was helping out with the merchandise table. Oh what I heard of them, the band was a real crowd pleaser and everybody was having a good time, I wish I could elaborate more on them but because of missing most of their set there isn't much more I could say except that they're all lovely girls and dress stunningly! I definitely want to go watch them if they're in the Manchester area in the future. 

    Now on to the main event and that is Kate Nash! The venue was quite small inside and even though being late I seemed to spot a good place in the crowd, roughly 6 rows back or so which was nothing in the venue! Kate came on just after 9 and opened with a short home made video of her lip syncing along to an old song, which for the life of me I couldn't remember sadly! But it was a very unique and more personal approach for an opening number, below is a photo of the set list which is not mine, I've taken this from a girls tumblr account so if you click the photo it'll take you through where there's more Kate related posts.



    Kate performed every song effortlessly, including some old favourites which got the crowds going absolutely bonkers for as well as her vinyl single 'Free My Pussy' which was influenced from the arrest of Russian band Pussy Riot. Throughout each song, Kate had miniature TV's dotted around the stage along with a projector behind her playing short videos of go-go dancers and basic images of love hearts to tie into the Girl Talk theme. People got invited up on stage and Kate infact jumped off stage crowd surfing to them practically fall infront of me, my mate and some other fans to which we all danced together in a little circle (there's a video of me on youtube dancing with kate ha). Overall the concert was mind blowing and was the best I've been to this year, if you can get around to watching Kate before her tour ends I highly recommend you do as I will when she comes around the North West next time! I'll leave some images below of the gig that I took.





No comments:

Post a Comment