Saturday 8 September 2012

Starting Off In College | Expectations & Realities

    If you're a regular viewer to my Youtube videos, which I will link down below you will know I started college for the first time on Wednesday 5th of September at a completely different college in compassion to my usual friendship group. For those who are wondering, I have kept contact with 2 people so far from that group out of the total of 6 roughly. I however feel going to a different college gives you the kick to meet new friends or revisit old friendships to those who attended the same High School as yourself.

    The subjects I finally chose for the 2 year course are English Literature, English Language, Sociology and at the moment Maths GCSE. With exam grade boundaries increasing dramatically I just fell short of passing my Maths exam so I will be resitting that in my first year of college at GCSE level. Once that is sorted, and I have hopefully gained those extra few marks I shall be taking up either Media or Film Studies (I think Film more) as an AS course which is half of an A-Level.

    Looking at my general demographic of blog readers, I've noticed just over half of those from The United States of Amercia, the education system over there is alien to me in the UK so the sum up college for those outside the UK; you attend college at the age of 16/17 till 18. You can resit your first year in certain colleges so whereas mostly students are in that age bracket, a few students may be 18/19.

    Again going into a completely new environment I was unable to determine what aspects might occur regarding transport systems, teacher to student interaction and how subjects would be taught. One of the subjects, Sociology is a new subject to me but again this is due to my high school not having the course as an option but it slowly is becoming more popular through more and more high schools across the UK.

    During the first day of college you meet with your PT (personal tutor) and do a series of team building activities with a variety of students in your year group, being all in the same boat so to speak everyone is relatively quiet to start off with. This is completely natural so if you follow this pattern or find it strange you have the opportunity to break the ice. The day went pretty smoothly and made initial friendships with both boys and girls.

    Starting mid week, I have only attended 3 days of college 2 of them official educational days which consisted of all my subjects. Every single teacher I have is a wonder, answering questions and making sure you understand what course you throwing yourself into. I know this has been a relatively long post but I hope you can understand that even though you maybe anxious as to occurrences, if you just relax everything will go fine. 

    I hope everybody that has started either high school, college, university or going into their final years of all them forms of education the best of luck as you need to take these years all seriously to ensure for a financially safe future. Later on into the year, I will so a 4 month assessment of each subject to give you a more in depth knowledge of said subjects at AS level. 

Youtube Chanel - www.youtube.com/FagansFinds
Twitter - @Faganatorxo

Fagan x

No comments:

Post a Comment