Tuesday 11 June 2013

Exploring Future Universities || Lincoln University

   Hi guys! So as I promised here's another installment from my Exploring Future Universities series that I've started and this time its at Lincoln University. Now for those of you who are unaware, I hope to be studying Journalism during my time at university participating in any extracurricular possible and I feel Lincoln really opens those doors for me. It roughly takes 2 and a half hours driving (with clear roads) to get to the university as I live just outside of Manchester, although the journey is enjoyable as it's mostly green areas so you get some sheep or cows every couple of miles. One thing I must point out while it's fresh in my memory and at the start of this post is that, there is a toll right outside of Lincoln (literally 20 steps before the welcome to Lincoln sign). The toll itself was only a couple of pennies, however I was completely unaware of this when planning the journey, so make sure you have some spare change in your car.

    Anyway onto the university itself, situated just outside are a few useful shops such as Lidl/Aldi (they're practically the same right?) and a holiday inn, now I found this really considerant close to the university as those of you who have been students or had siblings in that situation know you scrap every penny together for food etc. So cheap shops that do supply quality food, household items is essential and the holiday inn allows family members to come visit if they wish without a 20 minute drive in the morning from their hotel.

    The campus is absolutely stunning, because I was struck for time as we arrived slightly later than originally planned I was unable to take photographs but instead absorbed the scenery, but you can take my word for it as being remarkably stunning for a campus. The campus is divided into two sections, with a railway running through the middle (there's high stairs/lift to let you get to the other side) the far side of the campus contains the media building and lecture rooms along with the main administrations building alongside a canal with some cute boats floating about. On the opposite side of this canal is a variation of restaurants such as Nandos, Chiquitos, Harvester along with a large cinema. In contrast to this the other side of campus holds the SU bar, business/law building, some accommodation along with the Engine Shed (their concert venue). So you're not stuck of places to go out to at night. 

    As for the course I'm doing, student life, finance I went to all of these talks missing the accommodation talk/tour and a few other tours around the city of Lincoln. Due to living quite a distance away and due to some other personal issues around the time, I was unable to attend the full open day which ran from 9:00 till 16:00 so I'm planning on attending another while visiting my cousin who's in a university about 40 minutes away. Like I said previously, I hope to do journalism, my course talk covered journalism, along with their other subjects in that field such as investigative journalism and public relations. The talk was outstanding, explaining reasons for committing to the course, previous student experience  awards the university have won and a short introduction to some of the lecturers and professors. 

    Overall from what I've already seen from the couple of hours I was there, I'm all hands on deck to attend Lincoln university, although I still have to take the next open days into consideration. Did you visit Lincoln university over the weekend? What course did you look at and did it live up to your expectations? Comment below as I'd love to hear other peoples opinions.


2 comments:

  1. I graduated from Lincoln a couple of years back so am glad you liked the university so much; I'd totally recommend it!

    I actually fell in love with the city and now live there, working for Visit Lincoln to show others how great Lincoln is as a place to visit and live in! Check out www.visitlincoln.com if you like as it shows how much else Lincoln has to offer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for the 'liebster blog award' Check out my latest blog post for details,
    Love ya

    -Rosie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete