Friday 7 June 2013

Exploring Future Universities || Chester University

    So today, I went on an organised trip through my college with Chester University a couple of weeks ago we listed three universities within an hours drive which we'd like to have a look around and I got put into the Chester group. I infact places Huddersfield down as my first choice but not enough students applied so it was sadly cancelled. I partially knew one girl in my group who I got to speak to more over the course of the day, as well as her friend.

    I live in the Greater Manchester area and it took me  approximately 40 minutes on each journey there and back, which is rather convenient if I wanted to visit home over the weekend or when I have to temporarily move out over the Christmas holidays. I've never really explored Chester, but I did go once to a killer Chinese all you can eat buffet so that is a plus if it's close by. When we arrived the university looked very traditionalist, besides the construction work which will be finished by 2014, introducing (if I remember correctly) semi-catered halls for first year students.

    We had two student touring us around the campus, which consisted of a girl in her second year I believe studying nutrition and on of their mature students (this is when adults over 21 decide to start uni at a later age) who was studying combined English Language and education (again if I remember that correctly). Both of them were very friendly and informative and I in fact sat with them during our dinner break along with a few other students, to talk about their experiences with coursework, exams etc.

Cheese and ham panini & salad £2.30 with Strawberries and cream starbucks (large) £2.98
    One thing that I loved about the university was they had their own Starbucks inside the university, which was roughly 50p cheaper than in the high street next door to their own SU shop that stocked makeup, toiletries and snacks like chocolate or sausage rolls (the lads were rather dashing too). We went around some of the accommodations but because their students still have exams, we weren't able to look inside any rooms which was quite disappointing.

    Another aspect that I found really good was that their gym membership only cost £20 for an entire year! You would normally pay that every month or even more in regular gyms so that really gave me the kick to think of starting their gym (if I went the university), they also provide free personal trainers for x amount of time every week along with a swimming pool that is free and sport classes.

    I'm going to be visiting a couple of universities over these next 5 months or so, I hope to make these posts every time I visit one uni, to help give those in the year below me some advice for when they get around to picking universities. I'm visiting Lincoln university tomorrow so I should have another one of these posts up tomorrow evening, hope you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment