Monday 26 May 2014

INTERVIEWED || Luna Webster on her new EP 'The Vanity'

    It's been some time since I've done an interview, in particular, it's been some time since I interviewed the lovely Luna Webster. If you're new to Fagan's Finds, then you won't know that I've previously done two interviews with Luna covering her previous EP 'Hollywood May Be Dead But Let's Dance On The Gravestones' in 2013 and a more general interview all the way back in 2012 (click here for it). As a follower of Luna's music and overtime also a friend of hers, I've always appreciated the hard work that she puts into her lyrics, as well as admiring watching her find her own sound and two feet in the industry. Because of this, I've always felt obliged to share her talent to as many people as possible in hope that'll one day she'll be a badass singer who's known throughout Europe (and maybe one day the world, go Luna!), so without anymore delay here's a wonderful little interview I did with Luna to promote her latest EP which is out now, entitled 'The Vanity.'







1. So it's been 18 months or so since the last time you graced my blog, has anything changed in the life and philosophy of Luna Webster?

    The life of Luna Webster has been a ridiculous mad and crazy mess since I was last on your blog! I've left school and I’m out in the Big Bad Real World which is a terrifying feeling. The entire past year has been a bit of a blur really. My philosophy is still the same and that’s BE NICE!! JUST BE NICE!! DON'T BE A WANKER!! Sticking to this motto is generally a good way to live. Also LOVE AND APPRECIATE URSELF. That’s a super important one too.

2. You latest EP is entitled 'The Vanity', does this have any reflection on the mood you're trying to put across, or maybe a hidden message?

    It’s not so much a hidden message as something I'm quite open about, and that’s the thin line that exists between self love and vanity or narcissism. I sort of covered that topic on my previous EP in a song called ‘Diamonds & Psychiatrists’ but that was more the idea of what happens when self loathing meets narcissism. The title track of The Vanity EP is an exploration of what other people, specifically men see when they're introduced to a woman with high self esteem, who openly likes who she is and how she looks. It’s often mistaken for arrogance, and I'VE been called arrogant for liking myself in the past, and I hate this idea that women should be quiet and have little confidence in order to be attractive. To me, there is nothing MORE attractive than somebody who thinks they're rad and hot and isn't ashamed to tell people. The song is pretty sarcastic and shouldn’t be taken literally, and really all I want is to yell at everyone JUST FUCKING KISS THE MIRROR EVERY DAY, JUST DO IT, DO IT IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE, DON'T CARE, DON'T BE ASHAMED TO APPRECIATE AND ADORE EVERYTHING ABOUT U BECAUSE UR GREAT.

3. Since we've last spoke you've done a few more concerts, any that particularly stand out to you?

    Just this week I did a really great gig in Dundee with a super cool Scottish band who are doing very well at the moment called Neon Waltz, they were featured as ‘next hype’ on Zane Lowe’s show the other week so it’s pretty impressive to be playing shows with a band with that kind of status. Especially when their members are telling you how much they enjoyed your set. There was another amazing Dundee band called Hookers For Jesus playing, who I adore, they remind me of Mogwai, and I really fucking like Mogwai. I also did a gig quite recently with my good friend Arthur Williams, we played as a duo, which was pretty fun as I'd never been on stage with anyone else before. We're hoping to get an EP done soon too.

4. Who would you say are the greatest influences behind 'The Vanity'?

    Musically, I've been listening to a lot of Emily Wells and Regina Spektor but I think that I have my own Luna Webster sound now, and other musicians don't really shape it so much as they did 2 years ago. I really like Haim and what they do with harmonies, so I've been experimenting with that a lot and you can hear it on the EP. But these days I take ideas from things that happen around me and affect me and anything that makes me think. The Vanity EP covers bad experiences with shitty people, good experiences with wonderful people, drugs, misogyny, sarcasm, death, new beginnings.

 5. Where would you like to see your musical career to be heading in the next 5 years?

    Oh Jesus I don't even know what I'm going to do in the next 5 hours. Probably watch a lot of Ru Pauls Drag Race. Questions like this are hard because I haven't even been doing music for 5 years, I started writing in late 2011 and if you'd told me at the start of 2011 I’d be playing shows with people like Morrissey’s guitarist Boz Boorer in 2 years time I would have laughed in your face, but it happened. I’m taking this year off to work and have more time to be creative so perhaps an album by the end of 2014, but by 2019 I have absolutely zero idea, I'll probably be doing my last year at uni but then again I could also have died from a Haloumi Cheese overdose so we'll see how it goes.

6. Finally, any words for your fans out there on any special upcoming news or gigs?

    I have no gigs lined up as far as I know but I'm looking into doing shows in Glasgow and Edinburgh and expanding my musical performing range from Just Dundee. But special news YES I have some of that! I’m currently the vocalist in an electronic music duo called Pussy Wagon (Kill Bill reference) with a super ridiculously INSANELY talented guy called Taylor Stewart (you can hear his music here as well as my previous collab with him, a song called Dog Bag http://ghost-ship.bandcamp.com). We are about to release a remix of my song Liquor and Lipstick and make a music video for that this week, and then start releasing our original material in the very near future, which I am incredibly excited about. Think a less aggressive Purity Ring voiced by Laura Marling or Lana Del Rey. I’m also going to do a collaboration with previously mentioned Arthur Williams whose soundcloud is here https://soundcloud.com/indigoverse.

Luna's bandcamp: lunawebster.bandcamp.com
Luna's twitter: www.twitter.com/LunaWebster

No comments:

Post a Comment