Monday 23 June 2014

REVIEWED || The Fault In Our Stars Movie

 ©strawburry17.com
   
    Firstly I'd like to say that yes I have read John Green's 'The Fault In Our Stars' and the film performed so well and closely to the novel, that I've had to give myself a few days from watching it in order to write about it correctly. If you've not read the book or heard about the film, where have you been the last couple of months! TFIOS follows two teenagers, Hazel Grace who is suffering from stage 4 thyroid cancer with metastasis and Augustus Waters who's currently in remission for osteosarcoma. The two meet in a support group, which is literally the heart of Jesus (nice reference for any fans) and Hazel also meets Augustus's best friend Isaac who suffers from eye cancer.

    I went into the cinema viewing of this with a handful of tissue, ready for the expectant tears as I cried in moments of the book but I did not expect to cry as much as I did. For myself and thousands of others, this book really struck a cord and even though I've personally never dealt with cancer or known anybody with it, my emotional investment in these characters was off the charts. The acting was absolutely outstanding, Shailene Woodley embodied Hazel Grace so well and Ansel Elgot blew me away as Augustus. Like most people who're fans of a book before it turned into a film, I was really sceptical how it was going to turn out, but the key moments were played out with every detail intended and nothing major was left out. 

    One scene that stuck out to me the most, was towards the end (spoiler alert!) when Augustus attempts to buy himself some cigarettes in the middle of the night but ends up vomiting over himself, and has to call Hazel. That scene has always stayed with me after reading, and Ansel covered the realness of what was happening extremely well, perfect infact. It was raw and gritty and a little bit gross because of the amount of snot and vomit, but that's what made it feel so real and gave that brilliant connection to the audience. If you go watching this film I will warn you, there will be many tears! I went watching this with two girls who were fans of the book, and one other girl who didn't have a clue what was going to happen, and they all cried just as much. From the Amsterdam scene onwards I practically didn't stop crying till the very end, in fact once the film ended nobody in the cinema left for a good 5 minutes because everybody was so emotionally exhausted.

    Without a doubt, I recommend everybody to go watch this film. It's not all soppy romance, there are some scenes that're funny and lighten the mood, which for a film surrounded by cancer is a pretty hard thing to achieve. And some of the scenes presented are beautiful and really helps take you along on Hazel and Augustus' journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment