Sunday 16 March 2014

REVIEWED || The Grand Budapest Hotel

©whatleydude

    Wes Anderson has pulled it out the bag once again, 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' follows Gustave H a well known concierge and his lobby boy Zero fighting for the ownership of a famous painting 'The Boy With Apple' which was inherited but not finalised from his recently deceased wealthy lover Madam D.

    So I have been on the edge of my seat trying to find an opportunity to go and watch this before it went off the cinemas and I was lucky enough to find a friend who was available for the night to steal away and watch this with. Although I've only ever watched one other Wes Anderson film 'Moonrise Kingdom' (which is in my top 5 films list!) I consider myself quite a fan of his work and this film really heightened the standard he'd already set himself. 

    One aspect that I really loved about the film in general was the continual change of screen ratio throughout, if memory serves me right there was no scene that was filmed in the full screen ratio which I could imagine would frustrate a few people but the switch and change really kept it fresh, and helped you focus more on the scenery surrounding; rather than getting distracted over something not relevant to the scene. The casting was impeccable, Ralph Fiennas who played Gustave H really embodied the character, giving an outstanding performance and was able to get a few laughs out of me with his occasional, sophisticated swearing. I felt the film had a fast pace to it which in comparison to other films was really refreshing, scenes weren't dragged out for too long and the plot line was intact throughout. Obviously I can't do a review of a Wes Anderson film without mentioning the cinematography, which was absolutely brilliant. I noticed the 'birds eye view' was used quite frequently in the Budapest, but the smooth transition into this was what caught my eye, as you felt as if you was moving with the camera rather than static movement.

    I honestly can't recommend this film enough, if your a fan of Wes Anderson then you'll love this film hands down, same goes for any fans of artsy films please go out and see this. And even those who aren't into artsy films, the plotline, occasional humour and minor additions of gore really keep the film interesting and alive so this really have a broad audience spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment