Thursday 1 November 2012

OCTOBER || Album Of The Month




    I thought I'd end start November off with telling you what album I've listened to non-stop throughout October. Now there's been quite a few contenders but considering I've never done a post like this before I'm sticking with one. As I'm starting this to be a monthly snippet to my blog, the albums mentioned may not necessary of been released that year, or even that month. Although this month's album, contrary to the previous statement was released this year. If you've averted your eyes from the image below until now, you'll know it is The Cribs - In the belly of the brazen bull (ITBOTBB). Released early May 2012, I never found time to sit down and listen to the new album which was quite shameful being a cribs fan. Towards the end of September / early October, a friend started talking to me about The Cribs and their new album. This gave my memory a good kick to listen to their latest album, and what a masterpiece it is. 

    Being known for the hit single 'I'm a realist' off their 2007 album 'Men's needs, Women's needs, whatever' the Jarmen brothers have proved themselves to the harsh music critics. Like said album, ITBOTBB has quite a few similar features with relatable messages / scenarios in their songs. I've noticed a very nice fluency throughout the entire album, the songs blend into each other so well, it's hard to tell when one song stops and the other begins.  As for favourite songs on the album, I could list off a good six / seven but that would be very boring, to just read off song names. So instead I've chosen to mention my top four songs, they're not in any order of preference. 

1. Butterflies
2. Glitters Like Gold
3. Back Of The Bolthole
4. Uptight

    All these songs have a nice beat to them, keeping the listener interested, introducing occasional riffs. Allowing each song to create its own mellow undertones, especially on 'Uptight'. I've also noticed the song names, also have quite a strong connection to the lyrics featured in said song, this should come naturally to artists. Yet there are still some out there who stick obscure, unrelated names for reasons unknown by myself. The album artwork is also very aesthetically pleasing, the inclusion of coloured flowers softens the otherwise harsh black and white image. I'd like to think it gives the artwork a more carefree, relaxed feel as empty hotel rooms often have connotations of pain, misery, sex, loneliness. Adding the flowers, not only lifts the image but also creates the vintage / individual feel that The Cribs create through their music. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've never heard or listened to said band, I strongly recommend you take some time out to listen to an album of theirs. All of them are equally as good as each other, so take your pick! I'm hoping to keep this as a monthly thing here on my blog, so if you enjoyed please comment below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cribs Twitter - @thecribs

2 comments:

  1. I went thorugh your blog and I really like everything you put here! very nice work! xx
    www.aniacyk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete